Series history, broadcast information, connections and more from Thursday's Redskins-Browns 2015 Preseason Week 1 matchup at FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland.
PRESEASON WEEK 1 WASHINGTON REDSKINS (0-0) at CLEVELAND BROWNS (0-0)
Thursday, Aug. 13 – 8 p.m. ET
FirstEnergy Stadium (67,431) – Cleveland
The Washington Redskins will kickoff their 2015 preseason slate on the road on Thursday, Aug. 13, as the team travels to face the Cleveland Browns at FirstEnergy Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 8 p.m.
The Washington Redskins and Cleveland Browns have met 45 times during the regular season. A look at some of those games.
The first preseason game will represent an important step in the evaluation of the Redskins' 90-man roster. During training camp, head coach Jay Gruden was asked about the relationship between he and general manager Scot McCloughan in building a roster.
"It's a collaboration, no question about it. That's the one thing that I really feel comfortable with Scot moving forward with – he takes input from everybody," Gruden said. "He understands what football is all about, he understands what offenses are all about and defenses and what it takes to win in this league."
The game marks the teams' second preseason meeting in as many years, as the Redskins defeated the Browns, 24-23, at FedExField last preseason. The Redskins have won five consecutive preseason openers.
SERIES HISTORY– Redskins lead preseason series since 1961, 9-3
– Browns lead regular season series, 33-11-1
– Last preseason meeting: Aug. 18, 2014 (24-23, WAS)
– Last regular season meeting: Dec. 16, 2012 (38-21, WAS)
TELEVISION:NBC-4/Comcast SportsNet* *– Kenny Albert (play-by-play)
– Joe Theismann (color)
– Clinton Portis (sidelines)
RADIO:Redskins Radio Network
– Larry Michael (play-by-play)
– Sonny Jurgensen (color)
– Chris Cooley (analysis)
– Rick "Doc" Walker (sidelines)
THE OPPONENTThe Cleveland Browns enter the 2015 preseason following a 2014 campaign in which the team finished fourth in the AFC North with a 7-9 record. This season will be the team's second under Head Coach Mike Pettine.
Last year, quarterback Brian Hoyer led the Browns in passing, completing 242-of-438 passes for 3,326 yards with 12 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. In March, Cleveland traded Hoyer to the Houston Texans. The team signed 13th-year veteran Josh McCown, who completed 184-of-327 passes for 2,206 yards in 11 games with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last season.
Running back Terrance West led the Browns in rushing as a rookie last year, gaining 673 yards on 171 carries (3.9 avg.) with four rushing touchdowns. Fellow rookie Isaiah Crowell posted a team-high eight rushing touchdowns.
Wide receiver Andrew Hawkins recorded team highs in receptions (63) and receiving yards (824) in his first year with the Browns last season. Wide receiver Travis Benjamin led the team with three receiving touchdowns.
Safety Donte Whitner was selected to the Pro Bowl after leading the Browns with 106 tackles (69 solo), according to NFL GSIS, in 2014. Fellow safety Tashaun Gipson led the team with six interceptions and earned a Pro Bowl selection. Linebacker Paul Kruger, now in his seventh NFL season, posted a team-high 11 sacks.
Billy Cundiff and Garrett Hartley handled kicking duties for the Browns in 2014. First-year kickers Travis Coons and Carey Spear will both compete for that role entering the 2015 season. Andy Lee is the team's new punter after 11 seasons with San Francisco.
Benjamin was the team's primary punt returner a season ago, leading the team with 127 yards on 15 punt returns. Benjamin and wide receiver Marlon Moore split kick return duties in 2014, combining for 568 of the team's 801 kick return yards on the year.
PRESEASON SERIESThursday's preseason game between the Redskins and the Browns will be the 13th preseason meeting between the two franchises since 1961.
The Redskins are 9-3 against the Browns in preseason contests in that timeframe. Washington has won each of the teams' last four preseason meetings including a 24-23 home victory last preseason.
Included below is a list of the preseason games contested between the two franchises since 1961:
- 9/6/1969 vs. Cleveland 20-10 L
- 8/24/1974 at Cleveland 20-17 W
- 8/22/1975 vs. Cleveland 23-14 W
- 8/8/1977 at Cleveland 16-14 W
- 8/24/1979 vs. Cleveland 21-9 L
- 8/18/1980 at Cleveland 12-3 W
- 8/25/1990 at Cleveland 31-13 W
- 8/16/1991 vs. Cleveland 24-21 (OT) L
- 8/9/1993 vs. Cleveland 41-12 W
- 8/19/2000 at Cleveland 24-0 W
- 8/24/2001 vs. Cleveland 27-25 W
- 8/18/2014 vs. Cleveland 24-23 W
PRESEASON OPENERSThe Redskins are 27-27 in preseason openers dating back to 1961 and will be looking move their preseason debut record above .500 on Thursday. The Redskins have won five straight and seven of their last eight preseason openers. Included below are Washington's preseason debuts since 1961:
- 8/11/1961 vs. Los Angeles 26-7 L
- 8/11/1962 at Los Angeles 37-7 L
- 8/15/1963 vs. Chicago 28-26 L
- 8/8/1964 vs. Detroit 28-27 L
- 8/3/1965 vs. Philadelphia 37-0 W
- 8/3/1966 vs. Baltimore 35-0 L
- 8/9/1967 vs. Chicago 37-14 W
- 8/1/1968 at Houston 9-3 L
- 8/2/1969 vs. Chicago 13-7 W
- 8/8/1970 at Cincinnati 27-12 L
- 8/7/1971 at San Diego 19-10 L
- 8/4/1972 vs. Baltimore 33-3 W
- 8/3/1973 vs. Detroit 17-14 L
- 8/2/1974 vs. New England 21-17 L
- 8/2/1975 vs. Cincinnati 17-9 W
- 7/31/1976 at Atlanta 17-10 W
- 8/8/1977 at Cleveland 16-14 W
- 8/5/1978 at Minnesota 20-13 L
- 8/4/1979 at Tampa Bay 9-7 W
- 8/9/1980 at Baltimore 13-3 W
- 8/7/1981 vs. Kansas City 16-10 W
- 8/14/1982 at Miami 24-7 L
- 8/6/1983 at Atlanta 13-10 L
- 8/4/1984 at Denver 16-13 W
- 8/10/1985 at Atlanta 17-14 W
- 8/10/1986 at New England 18-7 L
- 8/14/1987 vs. Pittsburgh 23-17 W
- 8/5/1988 vs. Pittsburgh 44-31 L
- 8/5/1989 vs. Buffalo 31-6 W
- 8/11/1990 vs. Atlanta 31-27 L
- 8/4/1991 at Pittsburgh 13-7 L
- 8/1/1992 vs. Miami 22-21 L
- 8/9/1993 vs. Cleveland 41-12 W
- 8/8/1994 at Buffalo 13-11 L
- 8/5/1995 at Kansas City 37-21 L
- 8/2/1996 at Buffalo 17-7 W
- 8/2/1997 at Tampa Bay 20-8 W
- 8/8/1998 vs. Miami 19-16 L
- 8/13/1999 at New England 20-14 W
- 8/4/2000 at Tampa Bay 13-12 L
- 8/12/2001 at Kansas City 20-0 L
- 8/3/2002 vs. San Francisco 38-7 W
- 8/9/2003 at Carolina 20-0 L
- 8/9/2004 vs. Denver 20-17 W
- 8/13/2005 at Carolina 28-10 L
- 8/13/2006 at Cincinnati 19-3 L
- 8/11/2007 at Tennessee 14-6 W
- 8/3/2008 vs. Indianapolis 30-16 W
- 8/13/2009 at Baltimore 23-0 L
- 8/13/2010 vs. Buffalo 42-17 W
- 8/12/2011 vs. Pittsburgh 16-7 W
- 8/9/2012 at Buffalo 7-6 W
- 8/8/2013 at Tennessee 22-21 W
- 8/7/2014 vs. New England 23-6 W
REDSKINS-BROWNS CONNECTIONSFormer Browns on Redskins:
- QB Colt McCoy (2010-12)
- G Shawn Lauvao (2010-13)
Former Redskins on Browns:
- RB Shaun Draughn (Training Camp, 2011)
- OL Eric Olsen (Practice Squad, 2011)
Browns from the D.C./Maryland/Virginia area:
- DB Johnson Bademosi (Silver Spring, Md.)
- DB Joe Haden (Fort Washington, Md.)
- DB Darius Jennings (Baltimore, Md.)
- OL Vinston Painter (Norfolk, Va.)
- DL Randy Starks (Peterburg, Va.)
- DL Phil Taylor (Clinton, Md.)
Redskins from the Cleveland area:
- Head Coach Jay Gruden (Tiffin)
- C Kory Lichtensteiger (Van Wert)
Browns who went to college in the D.C./Maryland/Virginia area:
- Head Coach Mike Pettine (Virginia)
- OL Karim Barton (Morgan State)
- WR Darius Jennings (Virginia)
- LB Mike Reilly (William & Mary)
- DL Randy Starks (Maryland)
- RB Terrance West (Towson)
Redskins who went to college in Ohio:
- Offensive Coordinator Sean McVay (Miami University)
- WR Pierre Garçon (Mount Union)
- C Kory Lichtensteiger (Bowling Green)
- WR Evan Spencer (Ohio State)
Notable Pro Connections:
- Browns WR Andrew Hawkins played for Redskins Head Coach Jay Gruden while Gruden was the offensive coordinator of the Cincinnati Bengals from 2011-13.
CB Justin Rogers (2013), Chris Baker (2010), Alonzo Highsmith (2013), and Browns WR Brian Hartline (2009-14) and WR Marlon Moore (2010-13) played together in Miami from 2010-13. * CB Justin Rogers played for Browns Head Coach Mike Pettine while Pettine was the defensive coordinator of the Buffalo Bills in 2013. Thaddeus Lewis was the team's quarterback in 2013. Wide Receivers Coach Ike Hilliard held the same position in Buffalo that season. * WR Andre Roberts and Browns TE Jim Dray (2010-13) and TE Rob Housler (2011-13) played together in Arizona. * DL Jerrell Powe (2011-13) and FB Jordan Campbell (2014) played with Browns WR Dwayne Bowe (2007-14) in Kansas City from (2011-14). * DT Travian Robertson and Browns WR Kevin Cone played together in Atlanta from 2012-13. * DL Stephen Paea and Browns QB Josh McCown played together in Chicago from 2011-13. * DL Stephen Paea and Browns RB Shaun Draughn played together in Chicago in 2014. * DL Stephen Paea and Browns QB Josh McCown played together in Chicago from 2011-13. * DB Dashon Goldson and Browns QB Josh McCown played together in Tampa Bay in 2014. * WR Andre Roberts and LB Karlos Dansby played together for the Arizona Cardinals in 2013. * QB Colt McCoy and WR Marlon Moore played together for the San Francisco 49ers in 2013. * LB Alonzo Highsmith and CB Justin Rogers played with DL Randy Starks in Miami in 2013. * DL Chris Baker played with DL Randy Starks in Miami in 2010. *
Preseason Week 2: Redskins vs. Browns
DB Dashon Goldson, DL Ricky Jean Francois, CB Chris Culliver, and Donte Whitner played together in San Francisco from 2011-12. * Special Teams Coordinator Ben Kotwica, Offensive Line Coach Bill Callahan, Quarterbacks Coach Matt Cavanaugh worked with Browns Head Coach Mike Pettine and Defensive Coordinator Jim O'Neil in New York while they were the Defensive Coordinator and Defensive Quality Control/Defensive Backs Coach respectively from 2009-11. * Quarterbacks Coach Matt Cavanaugh worked with Browns Head Coach Mike Pettine in Baltimore in 2004 while Pettine was the Defensive Assistant and Cavanaugh served as Offensive Coordinator. * Notable College Connections: * CB Deshazor Everett and Browns QB Johnny Manziel played together at Texas A&M from 2011-12. * LB Trent Murphy and Browns DB Johnson Bademosi played together at Stanford in 2009. * TE Jordan Reed and Browns DB Joe Haden played together at Florida in 2009. * OL Morgan Moses and Browns WR Darius Jennings played together at Virginia from 2011-13. * DB Kyshoen Jarrett and Browns OL Vinston Painter played together at Virginia Tech from 2011-12. * QB Robert Griffin III (2008-12), Browns DL Phil Taylor (2008-11), and Browns WR Josh Gordon (2009-10) played together at Baylor in 2009-10. DL Chris Baker (2006-07) and Taylor played together at Penn State in 2006-07. * DL Ricky Jean Francois (2005-08), LB Perry Riley, Jr. (2006-09), and Browns WR Dwayne Bowe (2003-06) played together at LSU in 2006. * WR Tony Jones and Browns S Ibraheim Campbell played together at Northwestern from 2011-14. * RB Chris Thompson (2009-12), Browns WR Rodney Smith (2009-12), Browns DL Jacobbi McDaniel (2009-13), TE Kevin Haplea (2012), and OL Cameron Erving (2010-14) played together at Florida State. Haplea also played with Silas Redd, Jr. at Penn State from 2010-11. * RB Alfred Morris and TE Rob Housler played at Flordia Atlantic from 2007-10. * LB Terrance Plummer and Browns LS Charley Hughlett played at Central Florida in 2011. * LB Preston Smith and Browns FB Malcolm Johnson played together at Mississippi State from 2011-14. * OL Brandon Scherff and Browns LB Christian Kirksey played together at Iowa from 2011-13. * WR DeSean Jackson (2005-07), LS Nick Sundberg (2005-08), and Browns OL Alex Mack (2005-08) played together at California from 2005-07. Sundberg, Browns OL Alex Mack,and OL Mitchell Schwartz (2008-11) played together in 2008. * DB Chris Culliver, DL Travian Robertson and Browns QB Connor Shaw played together at South Carolina in 2010. * S Jeron Johnson and Browns DL Billy Winn played at Boise State from 2008-10. * S Duke Ihenacho played for Browns Offensive Coordinator John DeFilippo at San Jose State while he was the Quarterbacks Coach (2010) and Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach (2011) from 2010-11. * Quarterbacks Coach Matt Cavanaugh (2005-08) worked with Cleveland Browns Tight Ends Coach Brian Angelichio (2006-10) at the University of Pittsburgh while he was the Offensive Assistant/Tight Ends Coach from 2006-08. Cavanaugh served as the Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach. * Assistant Offensive Line/Offensive Quality Control Coach Shane Day worked with Cleveland Browns Offensive Line Coach Andy Moeller at the University of Michigan while he was the Offensive Line coach from 2005-06. Shane Day served as the Offensive Quality Control Coach.