REGULAR SEASON WEEK 11 WASHINGTON REDSKINS (6-3) VS. HOUSTON TEXANS (6-3)
Sunday, Nov. 18 | 1:00 p.m. ET
FedExField (82,000) | Landover, Md.
The Redskins will face their second AFC opponent this season when they host the Houston Texans. Kickoff at FedExField is scheduled for 1 p.m.
Sunday's game will spotlight the Redskins' annual Alumni Homecoming Weekend, and with a victory, the Redskins will become the fifth NFL franchise to record 600 wins in regular season play.
Washington holds a two game lead in the NFC East and enters the game with a 6-3 record, their best start through nine games since the 2008 season. Entering Week 11, the Redskins hold a +11 net turnover differential. It is the team's best turnover differential since Week 17 of the 2012 season when the Redskins held a +17 differential.
After forcing four turnovers last week, Washington has now forced at least one turnover in 13 consecutive games dating back to last season and enter Sunday's contest with the longest active streak of forcing turnovers in consecutive games in the NFL. With 672 rushing yards on the season, RB Adrian Peterson is on pace to rush for more than 1,000 yards this season and will need to average 46.9 yards for the next seven games to hit 1,000 yards rushing in a season for the eighth time in his career and the first for a Redskins running back since 2014.
Check out the top photos from the Redskins' Week 10 game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday, November 11th, 2018 at Raymond James Stadium.
SERIES HISTORY: Redskins and Buccaneers tie all-time series, 2-2
Last meeting: Sept. 7, 2014 (17-6 HOU)
Greg Gumbel (play-by-play)
Trent Green (analysis)
Bruce Arians (analysis)
Melanie Collins (sidelines)
RADIO: Redskins Radio Network
Larry Michael (play-by-play)
Chris Cooley (analysis)
Rick "Doc" Walker (sidelines)
The Houston Texans enter the game on a six game winning streak and at the top of the AFC South. Houston is led by Head Coach Bill O'Brien, who is in the midst of his fifth season in the position. O'Brien is a combined 37-36 in his career, but has already improved the Texans two wins past their total last season.
Quarterback Deshaun Watson has returned from a torn ACL in his right knee last season to have a strong sophomore campaign. Watson is 185-for-285 (64.9%) for 2,389 yards, 17 touchdowns and seven interceptions in all nine games this season. Watson has also rushed for 268 yards and a touchdown on 50 attempts.
Veteran's Lamar Miller and Alfred Blue have led the rushing attack, with Miller leading the way with 125 attempts for 525 yards and two touchdowns. Blue has rushed the ball 94 times for 297 yards and a touchdown.
Watson has had a number of high profile targets this season, but lost his second leading receiver Will Fuller to a torn ACL. Fuller had recorded 32 receptions for 503 yards and four touchdowns, but now more of the load is on top receiver DeAndre Hopkins. Hopkins has 63 receptions for 894 yards and seven touchdowns this season. Trade deadline acquisition Demaryius Thomas has a combined 39 receptions for 463 yards and touchdowns between the Denver Broncos and Houston Texans.
The Houston Texas possess one of the most potent defensive lines in the National Football League and led by JJ Watt and Jadeveon Clowney. Watt has 32 tackles (25 solo), 9.0 sacks for 66 yards and four forced fumbles. Clowney has 5.5 sacks for 45.5 yards and 24 tackles (20 solo).
Veterans Benardrick McKinney and Tyrann Mathieu round out a strong defensive core. McKinney has a team high 65 tackles (43 solo) as well as 1.5 sacks and two passes defensed. Mathieu has a team leading two interceptions, as well as 52 tackles (44 solo), 2.0 sacks and five passes defensed.
Kicker Kai'imi Fairbairn is off to a strong start to his second NFL season. Fairbairn is 19-for-22 from field goal range, including a long of 54 yards. Fairbairn also secured game winning kicks in overtime against the Indianapolis Colts and Dallas Cowboys in back-to-back weeks on September 30th and October 7th.
Sunday's game between the Redskins and the Texans will be the fifth meeting between the two franchises since the Texans' inception in 2002. The Redskins are 2-2 all-time against Texans.
The teams first met on Dec. 22, 2002. In that game, quarterback Patrick Ramsey threw two first half touchdowns to lead the Redskins to a 16-3 halftime lead and an eventual 26-10 victory at FedExField. Included below is a list of all games played between the Redskins and Texans.
Date Game Result
- 12/22/2002 vs. Houston 26-10 W
- 9/24/2006 at Houston 31-15 W
- 9/19/2010 vs. Houston 30-27 (OT) L
- 9/7/2014 at Houston 17-6 L
Check out photos of the Washington Redskins during their 2018 regular season Week 10 game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
NOTABLE REDSKINS/BUCCANEERS CONNECTIONS
Former Texans on Redskins:
- OL Tony Bergstrom (2016)
- S D.J. Swearinger Sr. (2013-14)
Redskins from Texas:
- Tight Ends Coach Wes Phillips (Houston, Texas)
- WR Josh Doctson (Mansfield, Texas)
- K Dustin Hopkins (Houston, Texas)
- QB Colt McCoy (Tuscola, Texas)
- RB Samaje Perine (Pflugerville, Texas)
- RB Adrian Peterson (Palestine, Texas)
- T Trent Williams (Longview, Texas)
Texans from the Washington D.C. area:
- Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator Romeo Crennel (Lynchburg, Va.)
- Offensive Line Coach Mike Devlin (Blacksburg, Va.)
- CB Johnson Bademosi (Washington, D.C.)
- S Mike Tyson (Norfolk, Va.)
Redskins who went to college in Texas:
- Tight Ends Coach Wes Phillips (UTEP)
- WR Josh Doctson (TCU)
- S Deshazor Everett (Texas A&M)
- QB Colt McCoy (Texas)
- T Ty Nsekhe (Texas State)
Texans who went to college in the Washington D.C. area:
- Secondary Coach Anthony Midget (Virginia Tech)
Notable Pro Connections:
- Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach Bill Callahan (2008-11), Offensive Coordinator Matt Cavanaugh (09-12), Special Teams Coordinator Ben Kotwica (08-13), Quarterbacks Coach/Passing Game Coordinator Kevin O'Connell (QB-Player, 2009-10) and T Austin Howard (11-13) were all members of the New York Jets when Texans Offensive Line Coach Mike Devlin (06-14) worked there. Callahan served as Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach, Cavanaugh as Quarterbacks Coach, Kotwica as Quality Control (07-08)/Assistant Special Teams (09-12)/Special Teams Coordinator (13) and Devlin as Tight Ends Coach (06-12)/Assistant Offensive Line (13-14).
- Cavanaugh, Kotwica and Howard were also members of the Jets when Texans Defensive Line Coach Anthony Weaver (12) worked there. Weaver served as Assistant Defensive Line Coach.
- Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Kavan Latham (14-16) worked for the Jets when Texans Mike Devlin and Assistant Secondary Coach D'Anton Lynn (14) worked there. Latham served as a Strength and Conditioning Intern and Lynn as a Seasonal Coaching Intern.
- Callahan (2012-14) worked for the Dallas Cowboys when Texans QB Brandon Weeden (14-15) played there. Callahan served as Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach.
- Cavanaugh (QB-Player, 1990-91) played on the New York Giants when Texans Defensive Coordinator Romeo Crennel (81-92) worked there. Crennel served as Defensive Line Coach.
- Cavanaugh (1994-95) worked for the Arizona Cardinals when Texans Offensive Line Coach Mike Devlin (OL-Player, 96-99) played there. Cavanaugh served as Quarterbacks Coach.
- Cavanaugh (1999-04) worked for the Baltimore Ravens when Texans Defensive Line Coach Anthony Weaver (Player, 02-05) played there. Cavanaugh served as Offensive Coordinator.
- Cavanaugh (2013-14) worked for the Chicago Bears when Texans NT Brandon Dunn (14) played there. Cavanaugh served as Quarterbacks Coach.
- Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky (2002-06, 11) worked for the San Diego Chargers when Texans Senior Defensive Assistant/Outside Linebackers Coach John Pagano (02-16), Offensive/Special Teams Assistant Wes Welker (WR-Player, 04) and CB Shareece Wright (11-14) were members of the team. Manusky served as Linebackers Coach (02-06)/Defensive Coordinator (11) and Pagano as Defensive Assistant (02-04)/Assistant Linebackers Coach (05-06)/Outside Linebackers Coach (07-08)/Linebackers Coach (09-11).
- O'Connell (QB-Player, 2012) played on the Chargers when Texans John Pagano and CB Shareece Wright were members of the team. Pagano served as Defensive Coordinator.
- O'Connell (QB-Player, 2008) played on the New England Patriots when Texans Head Coach Bill O'Brien (07-11) and Offensive/Special Teams Assistant Wes Welker (WR-Player, 07-12) were members of the team. O'Brien served as Wide Receivers Coach (08)/Quarterbacks Coach 09-10).
- O'Connell (2015) worked with Texans Defensive Line Coach Anthony Weaver (14-15) for the Cleveland Browns. O'Connell served as Quarterbacks Coach and Weaver as Defensive Line Coach.
- Outside Linebackers Coach Chad Grimm (2009-12) worked for the Arizona Cardinals when WR Michael Floyd (12-16) and Texans G Senio Kelemete (12) played there. Grimm served as Offensive Quality Control Coach.
- Grimm (2013-14) worked for the San Diego Chargers when Texans Inside Linebackers Coach Bobby King (14-16), Senior Defensive Assistant/Outside Linebackers Coach John Pagano (02-16) and CB Shareece Wright (11-14) were all members of the team. Grimm served as Defensive Quality Control Coach, King as Assistant Linebackers Coach and Pagano as Defensive Coordinator.
- Wide Receivers Coach Ike Hilliard (2013) worked with Texans Defensive Line Coach Anthony Weaver (2013) for the Buffalo Bills. K Dustin Hopkins played on the team from 2013-14. Hilliard served as Wide Receivers Coach and Weaver as Defensive Line Coach.
- Offensive Quality Control Coach Chris O'Hara (2014-16) worked for the Jacksonville Jaguars when G Luke Bowanko (14-16) and Texans CB Aaron Colvin (14-17) played there. O'Hara served as Offensive Coaching Associate.
- Defensive Quality Control Coach Cannon Matthews (2013) worked for the Cleveland Browns when Texans CB Johnson Bademosi (12-15) and QB Brandon Weeden (12-13) played there. Matthews served as a Defensive Coaching Intern.
Pro Player Connections:
- QB Colt McCoy (10-12) played on the Browns with Texans CB Johnson Bademosi and QB Brandon Weeden.
- Matthews (2014-15) worked for the Tennessee Titans when LB Zach Brown (12-15) and Texans DE Angelo Blackson (15-16) played on the team. Matthews served as Defensive Quality Control Coach.
- Tight Ends Coach Wes Phillips (2007-13) worked with Texans Inside Linebackers Coach Bobby King (10) for the Dallas Cowboys. Phillips served as Quality Control/Offensive Assistant and King as Defensive Quality Control/Assistant Linebackers.
- Assistant Offensive Line Coach Phil Rauscher (2015-17), RB Kapri Bibbs (14-16) and TE Vernon Davis (15) and Texans Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Mike Eubanks (12-17), Senior Director of Sports Performance Luke Richesson (12-17), Assistant Strength and Conditioning/Performance Therapist Billy Voltaire (15-17) and WR Demaryius Thomas (10-18) were all members of the Denver Broncos. Rauscher served as Offensive Assistant (15-16)/Assistant to the Head Coach (17), Eubanks as Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach, Richesson as Head Strength and Conditioning Coach and Valtaire as Assistant Athletic Trainer/Physical Therapist.
- Bibbs also played on the Broncos when Texans Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Jason George (12-14) worked there. George served as Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach.
- Defensive Line Coach Jim Tomsula (2007-15), TE Vernon Davis (06-15) and QB Alex Smith (05-12) and Texans Special Teams Coordinator Brad Seely (11-14) and Assistant Special Teams Coach Tracy Smith (12-14) were all members of the San Francisco 49ers. Tomsula served as Defensive Line Coach, Seely as Assistant Head Coach/Special Teams Coordinator and Smith as Special Teams Assistant.
- OL Tony Bergstrom (2012-15), T Austin Howard (14-16) and DL Stacy McGee (13-16) played on the Oakland Raiders when Texans Special Teams Coordinator Brad Seely (15-17) and Assistant Special Teams Coach Tracy Smith (15-17) worked there. Seely served as Special Teams Coordinator and Smith as Assistant Special Teams Coach.
- DL Caleb Brantley played with Texans WR Sammie Coates Jr. and LB John Keyes on the Cleveland Browns in 2017.
- LB Zach Brown (2016) played on the Buffalo Bills when Texans Assistant Secondary Coach D'Anton Lynn (15-16) worked there. Lynn served as a Defensive Assistant.
- WR Jehu Chesson (2017) and QB Alex Smith (13-17) played with Texans C/G Zach Fulton (14-17) on the Kansas City Chiefs.
- G Jonathan Cooper (13-15), WR Michael Floyd (12-16), RB Adrian Peterson (17) and S D.J. Swearinger Sr. (15-16) all played with Texans S Tyrann Mathieu (13-17) on the Arizona Cardinals.
- Peterson (2007-16) played with Texans QB Joe Webb III (10-13) on the Minnesota Vikings.
- Peterson (2017) played with Texans G Senio Kelemete (14-17) on the New Orleans Saints.
- K Dustin Hopkins (14) and T Ty Nsekhe (14) also played with Texans G Senio Kelemete on the Saints.
- Swearinger Sr. played with Texans LB John Keyes on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2015.
- LB Mason Foster (2015) and LB Pernell McPhee (15-17) played on the Chicago Bears when Texans Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Jason George (15-18) worked there. George served as Head Strength and Conditioning Coach.
- CB Josh Norman (12-15) played with Texans QB Joe Webb III (14-16) on the Carolina Panthers.
- WR Brian Quick (2012-16) played with Texans Offensive/Special Teams Assistant Wes Welker (WR-Player, 15) on the St. Louis Rams.
- LB Zach Vigil (2015-16) played on the Miami Dolphins when Texans Running Backs Coach Danny Barrett (16-17) and RB Lamar Miller (12-15) were members of the team. Barrett served as Running Backs Coach.
Notable Collegiate Connections:
- Defensive Backs Coach Torrian Gray (DB-Player, 1992-96, 06-15) played and worked with Texans Secondary Coach Anthony Midget (CB-Player, 96-99, 07) at Virginia Tech. Gray served as Secondary Coach and Midget as a Graduate Assistant.
- Offensive Quality Control Coach Chris O'Hara (2011-13) worked at Miami when Texans RB Lamar Miller (10-11) played there. O'Hara served as a Student Assistant.
- Tight Ends Coach Wes Phillips (QB-Player, 1997-01, 04-05) played and worked with Texans Inside Linebackers Coach Bobby King (DL-Player, 98-00, 05) at UTEP. Phillips served as Quarterbacks Coach and King as Defensive Line Coach.
- Phillips (2006) and Texans Bobby King (06-07) also worked together at Baylor. Phillips served as Quarterbacks Coach and King as a Graduate Assistant.
- LB Zach Brown (2008-11) played with Texans Offensive Assistant/Offensive Line Coach Will Lawing (WR-Player, 04-08) at North Carolina.
- TE Vernon Davis (2003-05) played at Maryland when Texans Head Coach Bill O'Brien (03-04) worked there. O'Brien served as Head Coach.
- WR Michael Floyd (2008-11) played with Texans C Nick Martin (11-15) at Notre Dame.
- LB Mason Foster (2007-10) played with Texans G Senio Kelemete (08-11) at Washington.
- WR Maurice Harris (2012-15) played with Texans LB Brennan Scarlett (2011-14) at California.
- DL Stacy McGee (2009-12) and P Tress Way (08-12) played with Texans CB Aaron Colvin (10-13) at Oklahoma.
- CB Fabian Moreau (2012-16) played with Texans K Ka'imi Fairbairn (12-15) at UCLA.
- S Montae Nicholson (2014-16) played with Texans DE Joel Heath (12-15) at Michigan State.
- WR Brian Quick (2007-11) played with Texans T Kendall Lamm (11-14) at Appalachian State.
- TE Jordan Reed (2009-12) played at Florida when Texans Defensive Line Coach Anthony Weaver (10) worked there. Weaver served as a Graduate Assistant.
- LB Preston Smith (2011-14) played with Texans LB Benardrick McKinney (12-14) at Mississippi State.
- S D.J. Swearinger Sr. (2009-12) played with Texans DE/LB Jadeveon Clowney (11-13) at South Carolina.