After four weeks of OTA practices, the Redskins will take a short break from on-field sessions this week. The team is gearing up for the full-squad mini-camp scheduled for June 16-18.
Many players departed Redskins Park for the weekend last Thursday afternoon after practice. While there will be no on-field instruction until the start of mini-camp next Friday, players will be expected to come into Redskins Park for film study and to continue the off-season strength and conditioning program.
In anticipation of the three-day mini-camp, head coach Joe Gibbs has shortened the number of allotted OTA days from 14 to 12. The Redskins have reported 98 percent participation in the team's off-season program, including OTAs, so far.
Players are expected to report to Redskins Park on Thursday, June 15 for complete physicals. The mini-camp officially begins on Friday morning.
Redskins quarterback Mark Brunell is not expected to participate in the mini-camp. Brunell suffered a small fracture in his left index finger on May 31. He should be fully healthy by the start of training camp in late July.
Meantime, backup quarterbacks Jason Campbell, Todd Collins and Casey Bramlet are expected to get the bulk of work in mini-camp practices.
The mini-camp could be the last time that Redskins coaches will be able to work with the team's six draft picks, including top pick Roger "Rocky" McIntosh, the team's second-round selection.
The Redskins will issue contract offers to McIntosh and the other draft picks in the coming weeks. Once signed, the draftees are set to report to training camp.
The team's draft picks also include fifth-rounder Anthony Montgomery, sixth-rounders Reed Doughty and Kedric Golston and seventh-rounders Kili Lefotu and Kevin Simon.
-- CUTS COMING
Vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato said this week that the Redskins will have to release six players once the team's six draft picks have signed their rookie contracts.
"Right now, we have 94 on the roster, and the six draft picks don't count because they haven't signed yet," Cerrato told Larry Michael this week in an exclusive interview on the Redskins Audio Webcast. "Once they have signed, then we have to cut a guy to get down to 88."
This year, the Redskins will be permitted to carry an 89th player who hails from a foreign country, Cerrato said. That player will stay with the team through the season, but only as a member of the practice squad.
Cerrato said he expects the team to head into training camp with 12 wide receivers. The Redskins currently have 13 on the roster.
-- CERRATO ON PATTEN
Vinny Cerrato dismissed recent media reports that suggested wide receiver David Patten would be released by the team in June.
"It's totally untrue," Cerrato told Larry Michael this week. "I'll tell you what, David Patten has looked good out there [in OTAs]. He's making plays. He'll get his opportunities."