For the second year in a row, running back Clinton Portis's season has come to an end on injured reserve.
Head coach Mike Shanahan said on Wednesday that Portis suffered a new injury to his abdominal area above his groin.
"He'll have to have surgery in that area," Shanahan said. "It'll be a couple of months before he can get back."
Portis, 29, has had his season ended on injured reserve three of the last five years. In 2006, he had hand and shoulder injuries and last year he was sidelined with a concussion.
Portis suffered a groin injury in Week 4 this season and was sidelined for five games. He returned to action last Sunday vs. Tennessee, where he sufferied the abdominal injury.
"Hopefully it was just a setback and I can get back on the field soon," Portis said after the game.
As the Redskins' primary running back since 2004, Portis rushed 227 yards and two touchdowns in five games this season.
He needs 77 yards to reach 10,000 for his career.
Reaching the 10,000-yard plateau was a milestone that Portis said he hoped to achieve this season.
Said Shanahan: "[Putting him on injured reserve] really is disappointing because he has worked so hard to get to where he was at, a lot of hard work. He's encouraging all the other players. He's a big part of this football team.
"You hate to see a person work that hard and not get an opportunity to finish the season."
Shanahan said that he believes Portis still has plenty left for another season.
"I don't think there's any question about it," Shanahan said. "He's got such a strong will. It all depends on, does he come back 100 percent? Does he want to come back and play? He has that inner drive that most people don't have. He wants to compete."