LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins and USAA, the Official Salute to Service Partner of the Washington Redskins, will continue their tradition of honoring our nation's veterans and active duty military by kicking off the month with #RedskinsSalute week.
On Nov. 12, USAA will host a unit interaction at Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall in Arlington, Va. where Redskins players will tour the facility including Arlington National Cemetery and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. They will meet the Old Guard and other military members to experience the daily responsibilities of the base.
The two organizations will continue their partnership through the annual "Salute to Service Game, presented by USAA" on Nov. 17. Kickoff for the game against the New York Jets is set for 1:00 p.m. Active duty military members, veterans and military families will have the opportunity to purchase discounted tickets thanks to the support of USAA.
Prior to kickoff, the Redskins will present a special military challenge coin, designed and created by USAA, for use in the official coin toss. In what has become a long-standing tradition, challenge coins are given by one member of the military to another to reward or encourage excellence, boost morale or to recognize fellow brother or sister-in-arms.
During halftime of Sunday's game, a special vignette will be displayed on the HD video boards, showcasing military events and initiatives this season, sponsored by USAA.
In addition to the tributes detailed above, the following Salute to Service elements during pregame and in-game ceremonies will recognize veterans and current members of America's Armed Forces:
- A "Salute to Service Moment" presented by USAA will honor active duty military in-game on the field.
- The back of the end zones will feature Salute to Service goal post wraps, pylons with camouflage ribbon decals and wall banners.
- The USO-Metro Club presented by Lockheed Martin (located across from Section 109 on the main concourse) will open two hours before kickoff to all ticket holders with military IDs or current Redskins Salute members.
- Five military Generals representing each service branch will be honored at the game.
- Six service members will participate in the team tunnel flag run-out during team introduction.
- 175 service members will participate in the pregame flag unfurling.The United States Army will provide a Black Hawk flyover at the conclusion of the National Anthem.
- A Black Hawk helicopter will be on display in the RedZone lot with additional military vehicles around the stadium.
- U.S. Army Silver Wings Parachute Team will land on the field at halftime.
- Friends of the National WWII Memorial and USAA will be hosting WWII veterans and honoring them during the first quarter.
- A United States Air Force Re-Enlistment Ceremony will take place during the second quarter.
The Redskins and USAA have joined forces throughout 2019 to recognize veterans and active duty service members, as well as connect local military with the team. At the Redskins Training Camp in August, USAA hosted an NFL Boot Camp for local military on the practice field, followed by a VIP viewing of the team's practice. During the preseason, USAA and the team hosted a practice at Joint Base Andrews, where military members were invited to a VIP viewing of the team walk-through with a post-practice VIP autograph session.
For more information about Redskins Salute, visit www.redskinssalute.com or follow @RedskinsSalute on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. For more information on the NFL's commitment to the military and veterans, visit www.nfl.com/salute.
Any questions regarding the Redskins Salute to Service game should be directed to Jessie Johnson of Redskins Public Relations at 703-726-7077 or email@example.com