Redskins left tackle Trent Williams capped off a career year in 2012 with his first ever Pro Bowl designation.
But his tropical vacation was cut short by an alternacation in a Honolulu night club that left Williams with injuries to his face and head, and unable to compete in the all-star contest.
The NFL released the following statement after news of the incident broke, absolving Williams of any wrong-doing in the situation:
"Trent Williams was the victim of an assault at a night club in central Honolulu early this morning and another individual has been arrested.
"Due to an injury sustained during the assault, he will not play in the Pro Bowl and has been replaced by Matt Kalil.
"Trent is still a member of this year's NFC All-Star team and will be on the sidelines this Sunday wearing his jersey. He will be credited with a Pro Bowl appearance and receive a full player's share."
Williams has not addressed the topic publicly, but according to Redskins' general manager Bruce Allen, his injuries are healing and he should make a full recovery.
"He's fine," Allen said during last week's groundbreaking ceremony in Richmond. "He got some stitches from the incident, they've been removed, and he's fine."
Allen declined to comment further on the situation, but did confirm that Williams was the victim in the situation, and that he was pleased with Williams's conduct under the circumstances.
"I will say this: we heard about [the incident] from league officials," Allen said. "They said not only did Trent not do anything wrong, he did everything right, and that he handled himself with great professionalism."