As we continue to recognize the 100th anniversary of WWI, learn more about the NFL's connections during that time of American History.
Football was used as a "technique" for US soldiers to get ready for combat, for team bonding and a way to release tension
- Football training camps as we know them today, were introduced to football following that exact practice of using football to train for combat, but in reverse – using the mindset of "training camp" to get ready for a game
- The NFL was founded in 1920 – a year after the war ended and when many Americans who served returned home
- Terms like"draft", "training camp" all find roots in military, tracing it all the way back to WWI
- General Pershing was an American Football fan
- Pershing wrote a letter for a dedication ceremony of a football stadium in tribute to Californians' military sacrifice during the war
- Sgt. Stubby (The Dog) is credited for creating the first Halftime show in American Football. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2012/01/was-one-of-georgetowns-canine-mascots-a-war-hero.html
- Doughboys loved playing Football. It has been reported the game was played as much as 667 times a week at Camp Jackson.